SEO trends and statistics predicted for 2021
Marianna Muscat - Monday, April 5, 2021
Like all aspects of digital marketing, SEO does not stay the same for very long. Each year brings in a new set of trends, and you need to keep on top of them if you want to ensure that you keep up and improve your search rankings. Let’s take a look at some of the SEO trends and statistics emerging for 2021.
Compelling marketing and SEO statistics for 2021
To get the best idea of how digital marketing and SEO are changing during 2021, consider the following stats:
- Between 2019 and 2020, 95% of organic traffic on Google in the US came from mobile devices. Thanks to this, Google and other search engines have gone mobile-first in their ranking criteria. You should do the same with your SEO.
- Voice search is on the rise. In 2020, 16.8 million voice search devices were shipped by Apple, Google, Amazon and others. This means you need to create more content for voice search and make better use of long-tail keywords.
- Video content can boost your search engine rankings by as much as 157%.
- 30% of mobile searches are related to location, which means optimizing your content for local searches is essential.
A broad overview of SEO statistics
The above statistics are just a few of the indicators that show us where SEO is going in 2021. In terms of implementing strategies for increasing your rankings, these stats mean the following:
- While SEO for searches on desktop and laptop devices is still as important as ever, optimizing content and design for mobile is a critical goal for all companies in 2021.
- If you have ignored voice search and video up to this point or treated them only as occasional add-ons to your SEO strategies, you need to know that you can’t afford to do that anymore. These two aspects of SEO need to move increasingly into focus over the coming year.
- The best SEO comes from specifics: location-based searches and long-tail keywords that will serve both text and voice search functions.
SEO trends to achieve favourable marketing results
What are the SEO experts doing in the coming year to take full advantage of the trends and stay ahead of the curve? Here are three crucial tactics you must implement this year:
- Focus on E.A.T, not just pushing the numbers: This is not necessarily a new trend, but it is increasingly important. The days of just throwing in the right keywords to boost your rankings are long gone. Your rankings depend upon the quality of your content. You must focus on developing material that is effective, authoritative and trustworthy (E.A.T) if you want users and search engines to pay attention to you.
- Organize your content for passage rankings: Google will continue to rank your pages in their entirety, but it will also scan specific passages on each page for relevance in relation to search terms. You will need to continue optimizing each page, but you can take advantage of this new, deeper search methodology by organizing your content into focused sections.
- Focus on optimizing for video search: You can do this by improving the mobile-friendliness of your content, to optimize for Google Lens searches, and optimizing file names and alt text images.
WSI New Media Marketing is a full-service digital marketing and search engine optimization company in Greensboro, North Carolina. Contact us for expert help with your social media marketing and SEO marketing campaigns.