Learn about the different digital marketing strategies used by businesses today along with the pros and cons.
The Different Types of Digital Marketing
Here are some of the types of digital marketing you may incorporate:
- Search engine optimization (SEO) is shrouded in mystery – only because Google and other search engines change their algorithms to deter cheap tricks. The goal of SEO is to increase your ranking on search engine results pages (SERPs) to ensure that your business is found by your target audience.
- On-page SEO optimizes web pages to boost search visibility using elements such as content, keyword usage, structure, metadata, and UX.
- Off-page SEO deals with increasing your authority using elements like backlinks and social shares and accounts for 75% of SEO.
- Search engine marketing (SEM) is a type of internet marketing that uses paid advertising above search results to attract visitors to your website. SEM leverages keywords that are searched often on search engines to improve the ranking of your website on SERPs. Consequently, a lot of planning and keyword research is needed to yield long-lasting results. Google AdWords can reach 90% of global internet users.
- Pay-per-click (PPC) is similar to SEM in that it is a form of paid advertising where you are charged only when a user clicks on your ad. This digital marketing strategy is not limited to search engines, but can also be found on Facebook Ads, Instagram Ads, and even banner ads. Because the cost per click (CPC) is determined by how popular the keyword is, finding keywords that are in-demand yet reasonably priced is key.
- Content marketing is the cornerstone of all marketing efforts. Whether used on your website, in blogs and newsletters, or for video marketing or podcasts, high-quality content adds value. Although used in digital advertising, content is more than just hard selling. What you share must inform, amuse, inspire, or convince your prospects and buyers through its relevance. Because content marketing is a specialized and ongoing activity, using the services of a professional content marketing team is worth spending money on.
- Social media marketing (SMM) targets your audience on social media platforms. There is a network for every kind of business, e.g., Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram. The beauty of SMM is that it makes two-way communication easy through comments, likes, and so on. For actionable insights, each platform has some form of analytics; and for maximum efficiency, marketing automation can schedule posts for when your audience is browsing social media.
- Email marketing, when used appropriately, helps you build your mailing list, onboard new buyers, and retain existing customers. By including social buttons, referral rewards, and compelling content, email marketing can be a highly integrated marketing tactic that shortens the sales cycle.
- Mobile marketing reaches your audience via their smartphones or tablets. Considering that we spend “a third of our waking time (4.8 hours/day) on mobiles”, getting your message in front of consumers means sending it to their cellular phones. Geofencing lets you target mobile ads to clearly defined audience segments for relevant engagement.
Why Should I Have a Digital Marketing Strategy?
Online marketing success requires a roadmap that starts with a thorough analysis of your competitors, market segmentation, and persona development. Only then can you create a digital marketing plan that aligns with your marketing goals, resources, and budget. To implement your plan, schedule online activities, launch, and then measure and manage the results.
Pros of Having a Digital Marketing Strategy
- Reach a wider audience and tap into new markets.
- Personalize content to grab users’ attention.
- Build relationships with engaging marketing tactics.
- Cost effective when ROI is measured.
Cons of Having a Digital Marketing Strategy
- Trolls can cause unnecessary stress.
- The changing algorithms and regulations enforced by search engines means you must stay up to date.
To explore the best digital marketing strategies for your business, get in touch with WSI New Media Marketing online or call 336.763.4006.