If you ever needed a reason to embrace mobile marketing with open arms, Google’s new mobile-first indexing is it! Below, we explain what this type of indexing actually is and what it means for your company’s website going forward.
- Mobile-First Indexing
In December of last year, Google made a big announcement that detailed how over half of the pages shown in search results globally are from mobile-first indexing. In other words, the vast majority of the pages that you visit from a Google search are based on how Google crawled and indexed that content based on the mobile version of that page.
- What Does This Mean for My Business?
Ultimately, what it means is that if you are not paying attention to mobile marketing and making doubly sure that your company website is mobile-friendly, you are likely losing out on half the traffic that you could be getting to your site if you were.
In order to maximize your mobile marketing and SEO going forward, you should keep the following guidelines in mind:
- Your mobile site should contain the same content as your desktop site. It is not recommended trimming your content for your mobile site.
- Structured data should be present on both versions of your site.
- You should include metadata on both versions of your site. Meta titles and meta descriptions, in particular, are of the utmost importance.
- Make sure that all images have alt tags on both versions of your website.
Need help with mobile marketing, mobile app marketing, and mobile content marketing? When it comes to expert mobile marketing services, you cannot go wrong with New Media Marketing! For more information on how we can aid you in improving your Google rankings, do not hesitate to get in touch with our team.