A Beginner’s Guide to Building Links for SEO
Ken Bowden - Wednesday, December 18, 2019
Creating content that search engines can not only understand, but which also answers questions, unfortunately, doesn’t necessarily mean that your content will rank. In order to outrank competitive sites, you must earn links from authoritative websites by nurturing your audience who will assist in boosting your content.
Simply put, link building is the process of getting other websites to link back to your website. One of the many tactics used in SEO marketing, these links inform Google that your site is a quality resource. Google’s algorithms are not only quite complex, but they are also always evolving and, therefore, sites with more backlinks, tend to earn higher rankings.
- How Do I Go About Building these Links?
To ensure the long-term viability of your website, you need to engage natural link building, in other words, earning these links rather than buying them. However, organic link building is not easy and it has been proven to be a time-consuming process.
There is a relatively easy way to build your links for free – internal link building. You need to consider the following when attempting to get your web page to rank:
- Anchor text is one of the most important things that the search engines consider when ranking a page. It tells Google what your page’s topic is about. If many links point to a webpage with a variation of a word or a phrase, the page has a higher chance of ranking well for these types of phrases. Be careful not to use too many backlinks with the same anchor text, as this could indicate to search engines that you are trying to manipulate your site’s ranking. Be precise about the anchor text you want to use.
- The quality of the linking page is considered too. Search engines favor links from high-quality pages in boosting rankings over questionable sites. Ensure that your content is unique and engaging so that people will want to reference and link to your site.
- Naturally, people will share the link of your home page, which makes it difficult for your other pages to achieve their own high rankings and to generate their own link equity. So, single out the page you’d like the anchor text to point to.
- Set up a system for interlinking your pages by using a keyword research tool, which will provide numerous relevant and popular keywords. Assign keywords to your content and link your pages using targeted anchor text. This is the most important step as you need to ensure that you are linking the right pages with the right anchor text.
- Place your site in front of your industry. Invite like-minded bloggers or individuals with a large social media following to review and to share your site.
Need help with your SEO? Contact us today for more information.